Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Apple in the driver's seat

Apple’s gonna go into the car business. True or false? According to the media, it’s true. Apple, they say, is secretly working on production of an electric car which it plans to launch in the year 2020.

But Apple is already actively involved in the auto industry with CarPlay. Never heard of CarPlay? Well, you’re not the only one. At various times recently, I tried to get info about CarPlay from three or four different so-called techies and their “superiors” at Apple, as well as “John” and “Jessica” in Apple’s Corporate Office, and several employes at Whitehall’s Apple Retail Store. None of them had ever heard of CarPlay either. Very strange, especially since Apple has an entire page on its website devoted to Apple CarPlay. Here’s the URL for the web page: http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Why do I care? Because I have Apple CarPlay. It’s installed in the new car that I purchased a few months ago. And I have some questions about how to use it, like, for example, how does CarPlay differ from my car’s navigation system and can I charge my iPhone from the USB port in my car and use CarPlay at the same time. So far, no one at Apple has been able to give me any answers. Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment